Up until about 2 weeks ago, I thought “Maybe this winter won’t be so bad.” Wrong. Horribly, freezing cold, wrong. So if you’re still hanging on to your warm weather skin care, read ahead for some tips to keep your face from freezing off.
1. Start using a washcloth to cleanse. If you normally use your hands to wash your face, now is a good time to start using a wash cloth twice a day to gently exfoliate dry skin. While you’re at it, give your lips a good scrub to remove rough skin.
2. Apply moisturizer to slightly damp skin. Rather than fully drying your face, gently blot excess water and apply your moisturizer. This will help keep some moisture in your skin.
3. Consider using a moisturizing oil in the evening. As someone with oily skin, I’ve avoided the skin care oil trend since it emerged. However, this one, by Kate Somerville leaves my skin smooth and hydrated, but never greasy in the morning.
4. Up your skin cream game. The same moisturizer that keeps you comfortable in the summer is not going to cut it year round. This one gives me lasting, lightweight moisture that doesn’t turn my makeup into an oil slick. Look for something a little creamier and heavier than what you use in the summer.
5. Tinted moisturizer is still your friend. It can be tempting to layer on heavy makeup, but try tinted moisturizer with strategic concealer. The result can be glowing, even skin.
6. Lip Balm, lip balm, lip balm. Apply it in the morning before you start your makeup. By the time you get to your lips, they will be softer. Apply it before you wash your face (with a washcloth) and it will help with the exfoliation process. Apply again before bed for over night hydration.
7. Protect your skin outside. Don’t be afraid to pull your hat down to your brows and a scarf up to your lower lashes. Cold air will suck the life out of your face right quick. It’s not a beauty contest when you’re outside (just when you’re inside) so go ahead and wrap it up.
Got any beauty DIY’s that keep you glowing in the winter? Leave em in the comments below!