When I mention my love of makeup, the comment I get most frequently is,”I wish I knew how to wear makeup. I have a few products, and I just stick with those.” So I’ve created this tutorial for the very beginner. I know you don’t want to show up at work one day looking dramatically different, but wouldn’t mind looking a little more polished. Or, as my personal philosophy goes, “You, but better.”
2. Use a tinted moisturizer to create “dots” on your face. Blend with fingers until no streaks are evident. Watch out for the jaw line and nostrils- these areas show the edges of makeup. I love NARS Sheer Radiant Tinted Moisturizer.
3. Fill brows if needed. Watch for a separate tutorial soon on just brows.
4. Choose a pinky-peach blush- it creates a natural flush on most skin tones. I like NARS orgasm, but there are several out there (every cosmetic company has one). To apply the blush, tap your brush into the pan, once on each side. Hold the brush over the sink and give the handle a tap- this will knock off excess product. Look straight in the mirror and smile to bring up the “apples” on your cheeks. Using a sweeping motion, brush the product up the apples, towards your temples. Swirl over a few more times to create even, blended color.
5. Choose a eye shadow close to your natural skin tone, or just slightly lighter. Stila’s “Kitten” is universally flattering, but again, almost every cosmetic company makes a nude that will match your skin. Using a large brush, sweep the shadow across your lid. For the most natural look, choose a matte shadow. For a little more glow, choose a shadow with a sheen.
Optional: Choose a slightly darker shade and place it in the outer corner of your lid (imagine a “V” shape). I like to use a flat concealer brush for this.
6. Apply mascara by placing the wand at the base of your lashes and wiggling up to the ends. For first timers, one coat should be enough. I apply 4-5.
7. Choose a natural lip tint, balm, or gloss. Here, I’ve used a pink-nude lip liner with Bellini lip gloss by Bobbi Brown. Other great options are Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm, Benetint, or Cherry Chapstick (my secret weapon).
8. Smile! You’re beautiful!
Have any burning beauty-for-beginners questions? Leave them in the comments below!